With the development of the 24-7 news cycle, the explosion of social media and the deeply polarized political landscape, it’s necessary now, more than ever, for candidates to project their best selves on the campaign trail. They must exhibit gravitas while also exuding a sense of humor and spontaneity. They must share compelling stories, while answering difficult questions with candor and ease. In short, they must be likeable and authentic.
For over 20 years, Peggy has provided hundreds of corporate leaders with the skills to overcome many of the same challenges that confront today’s politicians. As an acclaimed communication expert, and background as a theatrical director and producer, she is uniquely qualified to help candidates who must be able to succeed in a variety of public forums including stump speech presentations, Town halls, political ads, debates, and media appearances.
Peggy’s political coaching programs are custom-designed to meet the needs and time constraints of each client. Whether just starting out, or a seasoned official, her insight will enable any candidate to charismatically communicate their story, vision, policies & voting decisions in a way that remains true to who they are and those they seek to represent.
Coaching may include all or some of the following:
- Assessing your Executive Presence (strengths and weaknesses)
- Creating & promoting your brand
- Enhancing your personal narrative (a.k.a. Bragologue)
- Conveying a positive first impression
- Creating powerful introductions
- Crafting your message
- Being a chameleon communicator: tweaking your messages for different audiences while maintaining your authenticity
- Navigating the “narrow band” for diverse candidates
- Preparing for debates: upping your game
- Enhancing your storytelling
- Increasing impact through voice, body language and facial animation
- Managing “communication” anxiety using specific practice techniques and warm-ups
- Creating dramatic, pithy sound bites that stick
- Citing data in a compelling manner
- Staying cool in the hot seat: answering “zingers” with warmth and strength
- Understanding the reporter’s emotional temperature: spotting and avoiding their tricks and traps
- Transitioning seamlessly from off-topic questions to on-message responses
- Going on the offensive when necessary
- Sounding conversational with a teleprompter
- Video/audio taping and performance critique
- Developing a fundraising message to win hearts and open wallets
For more information about Peggy’s political coaching programs, please contact Natalie@peggyklaus.com or call 510-548-8828.